Perspective, Pontification and Propoganda about Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital, brought to you by David Hornik of August Capital.

« When Are Bloggers Off The Record? | Main | McProcessors »

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341d157b53ef013480ce1bd5970c

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference There's No Accounting For Taste:

» Ventureblog on mass-market from Con's Web Soapbox
I am sure David Hornick are right about about VCs being a bad proxy for mass market purchases. However, what about focus groups, surveys and other time-tested methods of determining whether a mass-market product has appeal? I am not saying these tools ... [Read More]

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Marc H. Nathan

David is once again exactly right when it comes to VC's insight into consumer/retail deals. Professional investors as a group are the last people on earth that should be making decisions based on what the mass market will buy. Simply put, we tend to fall into the "risk tolerant, early adopter, strongly independent" groups, and make it a personal point not to follow the crowd. This is unlike the other 99% of the consumers our companies are selling to, who really couldn't care less about voting with their dollars. Sometimes more people will pay US$8 to see a bad movie when they won't pay the same to see a good movie, but I couldn't knowingly put my name or my money on the bad one. P.S. On Last Comic Standing, Ralphie May (the fat one) opened for Jay Mohr in Vegas last year at the Paris Hotel. He's a good contestant on the show but I've seen his act twice, and was very disappointed - so my taste in comics must be pretty bad also.

christian louboutin

The secret of being miserable is to have leisure to bother about whether you are happy or not .

supra shoes

The second does not give up, the next second there is hope.

supra shoes

Children are falling through the fall and then, gradually grow up

DEKARONデカロン-RMT

DEKARONデカロン-RMT of a site.rmt ff11 The cost of a site would be how much it costs to run it. The worth of a site is determined mainly by how much revenue the site is bringing in.信長の野望Online RMT Other factors would include how much traffic the site is bringing in on a monthly basis, email subscribers if any,アラド戦記 rmt rmt ドラゴンネスト メイプルストーリー RMT アラド戦記 rmt rmt アラド rmt ff11 信長の野望Online RMT 大航海時代-RMT DEKARONデカロン-RMT

The comments to this entry are closed.