Perspective, Pontification and Propoganda about Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital, brought to you by David Hornik of August Capital.

« CES 2007: True HD, OLED and Ultra Wideband | Main | VentureCast at DEMO (Now in MP3) »

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

goddamnit

Couldn't you be a little less obvious for fucks sake?

Patrick Fitzsimmons

Hi David,

You might want to try to add VC on the title of your home page, not just invididual posts. For example you could title your blog "Venture Blog: Technology Thoughts from a VC." Also, the URL of your site has a huge impact. You are getting a bonus on your rank for Venture Capitalist because your URL contains "venture".

If you want to learn more about this stuff, my company has a blog about internet marketing for small businesses and firms. ( www.smallbusinesshub.com ) Good luck in climbing the rankings!

Baris Karadogan

David,
This is a fantastic post. Not only did you inform me about this great Google tool which I used and will write about shortly, but you eloquently summarized why VC's should blog.

The learning you get about web technologies through blogging is invaluable. VC blogger revenues and traffic numbers may be missing a few zeros but we use all the tools entreprenuers use in their sites and can talk about them. We are after all the CEO's of our Internet companies.

As for the stats don't feel too bad. I get one query with VC in it and that's "ethical issues tech vc"!! I don't have a single query to venture, venture capital or venture capitalist even though they are both in my URL and title. C'est la vie.

I do get a bunch of Web 2.0 queries and "Sand Hill Road" queries though which aint bad.

Thanks again for the great post.

Jason M. Lemkin

DH - your page rank is a 7. Throw the terms you want (VC) into your blog and blog postings and they'll start coming up on Google with a 7 ...

Jimmy Su

The PageRank algorithm is oblivious to keywords such as "VC". PageRank is computed solely by the link structure of the pages without consideration to their content. It uses the assumption that useful pages are often pointed to by many other useful pages.

chaoley

The reason you are not seeing any searches for your 'main terms' is that nobody is actually searching on those terms. They are searching on more generic terms like 'venture capital'.

Don't try to tweak your search results, just keep writing good content about venture capital. Write well and naturally about related issues and you'll have a nice long tail as well.

A quick SEO lesson for you, hope it helped. For more try searchengineworkshops.com and sign up for the 'tip of the day'.

PS. Try Google Analytics if you really want to see where everyone is coming from and what they're doing.

arve

Didn't you forget "VC blog"? And has it had any effect yet?

Maker Money

Great Post.

sanateseri

The reason you are not seeing any searches for your 'main terms' is that nobody is actually searching on those terms. They are searching on more generic terms like 'venture capital'.

Don't try to tweak your search results, just keep writing good content about venture capital. Write well and naturally about related issues and you'll have a nice long tail as well.

A quick SEO lesson for you, hope it helped. For more try searchengineworkshops.com and sign up for the 'tip of the day'.

PS. Try Google Analytics if you really want to see where everyone is coming from and what they're doing.

Linh Travel

Linh Travel

https://me.yahoo.com/a/vzOr65ghuIn8CQQKr4r2xdP3ng--#3623a

thanks for the information. If you need to increase your page rank in google search then use your right keyword i n title, body, heading tag etc you can do.

Jokes

I was surfing the net and luckily found this site and find interesting things here. Its very fun to read. I really enjoyed. Thank you for sharing this wonderful information.I would like to share these to my friends.

Thank You
Robin Jokes

Ajf 6

I agree with your blog, lucky to read your blog! It makes me have the courage to stick to it!

Bankruptcy Planning

Excellent share
Bankruptcy— the reality is, most Americans are one life-changing event away from a major financial crisis.

auction online

to improve pr in google you can provide keywords in title and also in domain name its helps you a lot.. its really a good post..

paslanmaz çelik

I agree with your blog, lucky to read your blog! It makes me have the courage to stick to it!

Paslanmaz
PAslanmaz Çelik
Paslanmaz Sac

Iamroon

I found this blog from my friend. the blog is nice one. good job. carry one.

GHD Iron

Good stuff as per usual, thanks. I do hope this kind of thing gets more exposure.

prefabrik fiyatları

I want to talk about how Google Suggest is going to lead to an Online Reputation Management nightmare for many.

sohbet

sohbet yap

As for the stats don't feel too bad. I get one query with VC in it and that's "ethical issues tech vc"!! I don't have a single query to venture, venture capital or venture capitalist even though they are both in my URL and title. C'est la vie.

chat

If you want to learn more about this stuff, my company has a blog about internet marketing for small businesses and firms

mirc sohbet

mirc

Good stuff as per usual, thanks. I do hope this kind of thing gets more exposure.

muhabbet

mirc indir

chat sohbet

thanks for the information. If you need to increase your page rank in google search then use your right keyword i n title, body, heading tag etc you can do.

MBT Trainers

Thank you for sharing. Very happy to see your article, I very much to like and agree with your point of view. Have a good time.

paslanmaz nipel

Thanks for the topic. I stainless steel industry
Paslanmaz

Kromtes

Cheap Beats By Dre

se your right keyword i n title, body, heading tag etc you can do.

The comments to this entry are closed.