Perspective, Pontification and Propoganda about Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital, brought to you by David Hornik of August Capital.

« Startup Advice: How Entrepeneurs Gain Credibility | Main | Gary Vaynerchuk's "The Thank You Economy" »

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

New Balance Shoes

I'm going to use my air quotes a different way.

That "entrepreneur" is definitely missing out on what real investors can bring to the table.

womens New Balance

I think you're looking at this wrong. This was simply the shortest due diligence process you've ever done and probably the easiest to make a decision from.

soc

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I still think investing involves more than a 30 second pitch.

GHD Iron

Good stuff as per usual, thanks. I do hope this kind of thing gets more exposure.

Lebron James Shoes

There seems to be a notion out there that superstar entrepreneurs turn everything into gold and everyone should just give them money without asking (some VC's admit it)... Will that hold true in 5y time, when it's time to do the math?

Low Carbon Steels

Good stuff as per usual, thanks. I do hope this kind of thing gets more exposure.

Mens New Balance

Does not seem that bad to be; but does depend on how initial contact was made.

Visvim

There is no garden without its weeds.

1045 steel

thanks for share

Cheap Onitsuka Tiger

Only an injunction)0f the lessening Can avoid that problem. Defendant: 1)Our name accurately reflected the first BaFfle of the owner of the store.andwe used the word“secret”as a kind of inside ioke because we wanted to keep the new business a secret from a former boss at a competing store.

Cheap Onitsuka Tiger

The nomination of the winner depends on the capability and spirit of the personality to finish the race.I like the post very much as it contain informative in knowledge.I like pics of Chelsea shares of the beauty of running in Madison, Wisconsin.I want to congratulate the winner for the nomination race.I want to know suggestion from others.

oakley frogskins

For anyone attempting to build and/or maintain a business in this age of pervasive social media

Birkenstock Outlet

good aritcal for me, so amazing with your opinion

Asics Onitsuka

Clothes do not make the man.
s

Mens New Balance

between moving quickly and abdicating all responsibility. Sure, there's lots of money out there today. But there are also lots of great investors who can be way more valuable to a company than simply acting like an ATM.

New Balance MT10

This guy has surely gone through the dd process before and clearly doesn't want to deal with another pompous vc who after a few presentations thinks he knows how to run his business better than he does. However, a smart person will always ask for help when it's needed.

New Balance 999

description of this entrepreneur's business (literally 30 seconds), I reached out to him to let him know that I thought what he was doing was interesting and asked if he would like to get together to talk more about what he's working on. Here's the email I got back from him:

AC wingless

I am pretty sure I did write at some point something as ludicrous and uncordial as what you're citing today. Entrepreneurs are just too swamped by too many things at the stage they could benefit from a VC that they don't see the bigger picture anymore, and tend to loose common social skills. It is not arrogance, not billion-dollar-dreaming or any of this, it's just that... we actually REALLY don't have time for any kind of seemingly ineffective and disruptive task with little chance of producing a tangible outcome anyway. I can almost hear him think after (possibly) reading your post: "OK, fair enough I wasn't even very polite, but why should I actually spend time if he's not even willing to check whether there is a point in all of this with a simple phone conversation?"
Both you and him missed out on some potentially beneficial cooperation, because you just didnt need each other enough.

Quoting Joel on Software: "But the great companies are often not the ones that spend all their time begging for investments. They may already be profitable. They may be too busy to look for VC, something which is a full time job for many entrepreneurs. Many excellent entrepreneurs feel that their time is better spent pitching products to customers rather than pitching stock to investors. It's bizarre that so many VCs are willing to ignore these companies simply because they aren't playing the traditional get-funded game. Get out there and pursue them!"

Louis Vuitton Handbags

Undoubtedly the cartoon conveys the meaning that life is like the process of running in which one should make constant efforts and never stop making progress.

Air Jordan

i agree with your views from here.

Asics Shoes UK

A friend is easier lost than found.

Nike Air Max

Don’t put the cart before the horse.

skate shoes

pursue an investment after a single pitch either, but if they do, at least it's their own money at risk. When you say it to a VC, you're asking

mbt online

That was my thought,too.

Sourabh

Am lost. He did not need money but he was ok with quick money. What for?
www.sourabhvarma.blogspot.com (on value stocks in US, India)

dentist american fork

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post.

plastic surgery tampa

Whoa, awesome read. I just now found your site and am already a fan.

carpet cleaning san diego

Great job on the blog, it looks great. I am going to save it and will make sure to visit weekly

Cheap Jordans

It goes where it pleases and it pleases where it goes.

Air Max

A true friend is the one who holds your hand and touches your heart.

MBT Trainers

Thank you for sharing. Very happy to see your article, I very much to like and agree with your point of view. Have a good time.

Nike Lebron 8 South Beach

Sure, there's lots of money out there today. But there are also lots of great investors who can be way more valuable to a company than simply acting like an ATM

Kevin Garnett Shoes

Would you be interested in investing? We aren't in funding raising mode at the moment, but would be interested in a 30 minute conversation if that would bring you to a decision if you are interested in putting in money as a convertible note…. Currently we don't have time for due diligence.

Vibram Fingers Sale

Fascinating post, thanks. Would you clarify the first part in more detail please?Many many thanks to the useful post.

Ed Hardy Swimwear

Imagination is more important than knowledge .

Christian Louboutin

A great poem is a fountain forever overflowing with the waters of wisdom and delight .
a

R&B Instrumentals

All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information. Keep updating, looking forward for more posts. Thanks.

Dance wear Toronto

Just want to say your article is stunning. The lucidity in your post is simply striking and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your rss feed to keep up to date with incoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the delightful work.

markkinointirekisteri

If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

glo minerals pressed base

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

laser hair growth

I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.

pure fiji coconut

I really like the fresh perpective you did on the issue. Really was not expecting that when I started off studying. Your concepts were easy to understand that I wondered why I never looked at it before. Glad to know that there's an individual out there that definitely understands what he's discussing. Great job

Environ Online

OMG! I have to say, your blog needs to be one of the best written blogs that I have learn in a protracted time.What I wouldn't give as a way to put up posts which might be as interesting| as yours. Bravo!!

pca skin peel

I really like the fresh perpective you did on the issue. Really was not expecting that when I started off studying. Your concepts were easy to understand that I wondered why I never looked at it before. Great job

Glymed Makeup

I certainly enjoyed the way you explore your experience and knowledge of the subject! Keep up on it. Thanks for sharing the info

Skate shoes

I think you're looking at this wrong. This was simply the shortest due diligence process you've ever done and probably the easiest to make a decision from.

résilier assurance auto

I have to say I work in car insurance in France an due dilligence is one of the most important thing in business!

Ed Hardy

Truth and tears clear the way to a deep and lasting friendship.

Swimwear Bikinis

Too late we learn a man must hold his friend unjudged, accepted, trusted to the end.

mbt shoes online

Thanks very much, I have learned a lot from your post. Well done, really! also have a good train at http://www.honest123.com/

coupe faim naturel

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

AngelInvestor8

Wow, what a response!

From the stilted way the email was written, I can imagine that perhaps the entrepreneur may not be aware of how his email would come across and be interpreted.

Asics Shoes

Such a good writing, or by I saw for the first time. I'm quite happy, you are a good writer

Buy Sandals

No man is an island, entire of itself.
d

Vibram 5 Fingers

Reading is not merely sympathizing and understand; it is also criticizing and judging.

cheap sports hats

I like your texts very much. That is why I like to use them in my work, if it is ok for you. I am interesting in that topic, and I need you help. Please, say YES. Thank You

cheap sports hats

Many thanks. You’ve got shared a few very powerful and informative words of advice with me at night. Thank you so a lot to take time to listen to my personal problem and for your assist. May perhaps Our god bless you

homemade pancakes

Way cool, some valid points! I appreciate you making this article available, the rest of the site is also high quality. Have a fun.

Buy Sandals

A bad shearer never had a good sickle.

Vibram 5 Fingers

A cat may look at a king.

New Balance Shoes

I found it funny. I would be very keen to hear more information on this. Cheers

Cheap Beats By Dre

could benefit from a VC that they don't see the bigger picture anymore, and tend to loose

Garden Sheds

Thank you for that clever piece of writing. Me and great neighbour have been only preparing to do some research about this. I am quite grateful to check out such good data getting shared copiously around.

ken griffey shoes

I have never read such a wonderful article and I am coming back tomorrow to continue reading.

Pandora Jewellery

Never before have I seen an article that had this much information in it. This writer is still able to provide plenty of convincing arguments to sway the average person over the the writer’s thinking. pandora charms

Christian Louboutin Shoes

This guy has surely gone through the dd process before and clearly doesn't want to deal with another pompous vc who after a few

Herve Leger Dress

It took us ages to get dressed - we got changed about 3 times before finally settling on a bit of sparkle...

Herve Leger Dress

It took us ages to get dressed - we got changed about 3 times before finally settling on a bit of sparkle...

medical aids in south africa

this would be a great useful for those people who want to start their own website. it is my pleasure to be one of those people who commented on your resource. . thank you for give a opportunities… more power and best wished ..

Cheap Sandals

It is never too late to mend.
s

Air Max 95

He who denies all confesses all.
m

china jewelry

I love my shoes. It is true that the shoes do run big. I was nervous about that but did buy one size smaller and they fit perfect.

Lebron 8

I would be very keen to hear more information on this. Cheers

flower shop Phoenix

This is a good posting, I was wondering if I could use this write-up on my website, I will link it back to your website though. If this is a problem please let me know and I will take it down right away

birthday gifts for dad

Many thanks for making the sincere effort to explain this. I feel fairly strong about it and would like to read more.

oakleysunglasses

That’s some inspirational information. Thank you for all the commitment to offer such valuable material http://www.oakleysunglassescheapsale.net/ here.

pick 4 numbers

Where did you got this much info on your blog from?? Also can i take the initiave to take the feeds from your blog for my own website?? But cant find the RSS feeds link here!!

iphone 4 unlock

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post.

phir mohabbat

I have to say, your blog needs to be one of the best written blogs that I have learn in a protracted time.What I wouldn't give as a way to put up posts which might be as interesting| as yours.

oakley sunglasses cheap

It is so lucky to read your blog,it is full of useful message.I wish we both can do better in the future.

oakley sunglasses cheap

It is so lucky to read your blog,it is full of useful message.I wish we both can do better in the future.

moving companies orlando fl

Brand Bikinis

The proof of pudding is in the eating.
x

Sunglasses Discount

There is a black sheep in every flock.
c

deck waterproofing

I guess I will have to continue studying yours and pray that someday I will write on a subject with as a lot wisdom as you have! Bravo!!

Timberland Boots

I’ve bookmarked this because I found it funny.

Cheap Jordan Shoes

You have to crawl before you can walk.
x

Adidas Shoes

You can't make an omlette without breaking eggs.
p

NFL Jerseys

I was like, really very good, thank you for sharing.a smart person will always ask for help when it's needed.

beats by dre store

I found it funny. I would be very keen to hear more information on this.

cheap wedding dress

Love 'em. My first shoes and who would think I would need them in AZ. I wear them all the time. Can't wear them today since it might rain and the metallics should not be gotten wet, but I will survive. Everyone thinks I was nuts to spend this much, but I don't do fakes. And I think they are worth every penny. A friend sells shoes at a high end department store and he said these flew out the store.

dressing gowns

I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.

Christmas Lights

I guess I will have to continue studying yours and pray that someday I will write on a subject with as a lot wisdom as you have! Bravo!!

How to grow taller

OMG! I have to say, your blog needs to be one of the best written blogs that I have learn in a protracted time.What I wouldn't give as a way to put up posts which might be as interesting| as yours.

Adidas Shoes

Dexterity comes by experience.
lo

Air Jordan Heels

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
mn

cheapest football boots

I have also used them as running shoes a little. Obviously this is not a running shoe, but they works OK for that as well. I rarely can recommend a product as much as these shoes. You will find more expensive ones, but I doubt you'll find better quality.

tiffany jewelry

I BOUGHT THIS AFTER SEEING A LADY WEARING IT AT WORK...IT'S VERY WELL MADE AND SOLID, IT EVEN HAS A STAMP INSIDE WITH 925 THE NUMBERS FOR SILVER...I WEAR IT ALL THE TIME AND GET COMPLEMENTS ON IT...VERY NICE ACCESSORY.

Burberry Outlet

I just wanted to comment & say keep up the quality work.Thanks a lot for sharing. You have done a brilliant job. Your article is truly relevant to my study at this moment, and I am really happy to read it.

Ken Griffey Shoes

That will really help us all. And this might bring some good repute to you.

The comments to this entry are closed.